🎄Surviving Party Season🥂
Christmas party season is here!
It’s a great sociable time of year, but if you are trying to follow a healthy lifestyle it can be challenging!
It can be the best time of year to enjoy ourselves and to indulge a little, but nobody wants to start the new year feeling like crap.
A few treats are great, but it’s all too easy to fall into the trap of pigging out for a week, and while this might feel good in the moment, it does not feel so good in the long term.
Here are a few tips to help you stay on track:
Christmas Nights Out Tips:
- Have a good lunch to prevent snacking after a few drinks
- Drink at least 1.5L water during that day
- If there is a buffet don’t graze, eat then put down the plate
- Dance your socks off = burn calories + eat and drink less
- Try milk thistle to help your liver process any alcohol
Eating Out Tips:
- Choose a starter or dessert, not both
- Fill up on vegetables at the main course
- For dessert choose something fruit based.
- Share high calorie desserts with a friend or a partner
- Have fun! Bear these tips in mind but don’t obsess over calorie content. One night won’t make a big difference in the long term.
- Alcohol can be very high in calories which is worth bearing in mind during party season. Alcohol has 7 kcal per gram which is almost as much as a gram of fat.
- Extra calories might then be added with mixers.
- People often have more unhealthy snacks like crisps and nuts when they are drinking, not to mention the takeaway on the way home!
Daily recommended units (standard drinks):
Men 3-4/day Women 2-3/day
- Try alternating water or a sugar free soft drink with your alcoholic drinks
- Choose a drink with a lower % alcohol
- Avoid drinking in rounds so you can set your own pace
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach
- Wait until after you have eaten to start drinking
Be aware that some drinks have a lot more calories than others:
Calorie equivalents in drinks:
|1 pint 5% Beer||170 kcal||Packet of crisps|
|175ml 12% Wine||126 kcal||A Cadburys Heroes Bar|
|1 glass of Baileys||118 kcal||A Milky Way Bar|
|330ml Bottle Alcopop||237 kcal||3 Chocolate Teacakes|
Healthy Drink Swaps:
|Pina Colada||Mojito||326 kcal|
|Pint of Lager||Pint of Lager Shandy||100 kcal|
|Double Rum & Coke||Single Vodka, Soda, Lime||107 kcal|
|Large White Wine||White Wine Spritzer||35 kcal|
Check out drinkaware.ie for more information and have a happy and healthy Christmas 🎅